- Provides radar ATC services to aircraft operating in the vicinity of one or more civil and/or military airports in a terminal area. The facility may provide services of a ground controlled approach (GCA); i.e., ASR and PAR approaches. A radar approach control facility may be operated by FAA, USAF, US Army, USN, USMC, or jointly by FAA and a military service. Specific facility nomenclatures are used for administrative purposes only and are related to the physical location of the facility and the operating service generally as follows:
- Army Radar Approach Control (ARAC) (US Army).
- Radar Air Traffic Control Facility (RATCF) (USN/FAA and USMC/FAA).
- Radar Approach Control (RAPCON) (USAF/FAA, USN/FAA, and USMC/FAA).
- Terminal Radar Approach Control (TRACON) (FAA).
- Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) (FAA). (Only those towers delegated approach control authority.)
RADAR Approach Control Facility