- A standard formation is one in which a proximity of no more than 1 mile laterally or longitudinally and within 100 feet vertically from the flight leader is maintained by each wingman.
- Nonstandard formations are those operating under any of the following conditions:
- When the flight leader has requested and ATC has approved other than standard formation dimensions.
- When operating within an authorized altitude reservation (ALTRV) or under the provisions of a letter of agreement.
- When the operations are conducted in airspace specifically designed for a special activity.
Source: Pilot Contoller Glossary (PCG)
- 14 CFR Part 91