USA and Canadian pilot license conversion becomes easier

The FAA and Transport Canada (TC) have signed a two-way agreement which will make pilot license conversions between the two countries easier.

The agreement will take effect on December 1st 2006. It will apply only to the airplane (aeroplane) category for private, commercial and airline transport pilot certificates with instrument, single-engine, multi-engine, night and type ratings.

To convert your pilot license to the other country’s you will need to pass an air law written exam and obtain a medical certificate from that country. Since the TC instrument rating expires every two years, FAA pilots will require having an instrument check ride within the 24 months or a proficiency check within the 12 months before the conversion.

The full official requirements can be found on this link.